Antibes and Juan les Pins welcome
numerous festival all along the year (See below).
The most famous one is the Jazz Festival of Juan
les pins. It started during the twenties, when
American people brought there a certain way of
life made of fun, enjoying sandy beaches, and...
Jazz. It was an immediate success. All Europe
youth in search of fun and best know American
stars such as Frank Jay Gould, Scott and Jelda
Fitzgerald, or Douglas Fairbanks used to go to
Juan. That was the beginning of "les années
folles" (the crazy years). After world war
II, the exuberance atmosphere of Juan started
again, making it being the European New Orleans.
Sidney Bechet was impressed by the beauty of the
place and married there in 1951, during a crazy
day, made of orchestras in the streets, famous
stars and journalists from all over the world,
dancers. Sidney Bechet even played for the fist
time "In the streets of Antibes", one
of his greatest hits. In 1960, the Jazz Festival
of Juan les Pins was launched. All the big ones
came: Armstrong, Count Basie, Charles Mingus,
Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington,
Sarah Vaughan, Ray Charles....Hancock, Georges
Benson, Keith Jarrett, Al Jarreau. Nowadays, the
Jazz festival is held every July.
This is a list of the main festival in the region:
- Sacred Arts Festival, January/February.
- New Orleans les Pins Jazz Festival - Mardi
- Colombe d'Or (March).
- Arts and Crafts show (April).
- Antique show (April).
- International Bridge Festival (May).
- Young soloists' Festival (May/June).
- Les voiles d'Antibes (June).
- Antibes Cup (July).
- Operatic Festival (July).
- Jazz Festival (from July 16th to July 25th).
- Nights in Antibes Juan les Pins (August).
- Musical Fireworks Festival (August).
- Rally Race of Antibes (October).
- Flower and Bird show (October).
- Festival of underwater images (October).